- A chest harness of rope is tied.
- The arms folded across the front of the chest, and tied with the fingertips of each hand touching the elbow of the opposite arm.
- The wrists are attached to the chest harness. This is done most easily by tying ropes around the torso and chest harness.
- Their ankles are tied crossed as they sit on the floor; this forces their shins to be at right angles to each other with the knees wide apart.
- The ends of the ankle rope are pulled up to the chest harness, forcing the legs up.
- These ends are tucked into the harness.
- The ropes are pulled until the ankles touch the chest, and are tied off.
- If there is any free rope, it may be run round the back of the tied person's neck and tied off. Alternatively, the loose end may be wrapped round other ropes and tied off.
- "Shibari You Can Use: Japanese Rope Bondage and Erotic Macramé" by Lee "Bridgett" Harrington  p.99