It is often quipped that even paranoids have real enemies, but it doesn't cost anything to be a little cautious. Don't take chances with your mental, physical, and emotional health.
As Susan used to say,
- "When you go on a date, you feel vulnerable, but when you go some place to meet someone interested in BDSM, you will be vulnerble!"
A person going to a BDSM meeting should contact a third party and let them know where you are going, who you will be meeting, and when you are expected home. It is not unreasonable to establish a Safe Call system even if you will be the Master or Mistress.
- The following information should be given to the person receiving your safe calls
- Your full name
- Your home address and phone number
- Make, model, color, and license plate number of your car if you are driving yourself, or
- Detailed information (flight numbers and times, rental car information, etc.) if you are using other transportation
- All the information you have on person you are meeting, including
- Their full name and screenname(s) or logon ID(s)
- Address and phone number(s)
- Age, description, any other information you might have.
- Pass on to your safe call person(s)
- Where you are meeting
- The name of place you are meeting
- The address of the meeting place, including applicable room or apartment numbers and phone number (if you do not have it ahead of time, give it during first phone call)
- When you are meeting - time and date
- The phone number for the local Police Department in the town you are visiting
- Be sure to have agreed and understood codewords for your safe call, one indicating that everything is ok, and one indicating that you need help.
- A first phone call should be made just before your meeting.
- A second phone call should be made within 30 minutes of your arrival.
- If your meeting is expected to run for an extended time, a call should be made every 2 hours.
- The last phone call should be made as soon as you leave your meeting.
- Establish a "Panic Phrase"
- If you question "how the kids are doing" might be use to indicate that you might want the help, or talking about the weather is a sign that everything might be "threatening or stormy".