- Robert Mapplethorpe (November 4, 1946 - March 9, 1989)
- Mapplethorpe was an American photographer, famous for his large-scale, highly-stylized black & white portraits and photos of flowers and other objects. The frank, erotic nature of some of his later work triggered a more general controversy about the public funding of challenging (some would argue pornographic) artwork.
- Author of "The Seductive Art of Japanese Bondage" Article about Midori from SF newspaper Midori's web site
- Harvey Milk (May 22, 1930 to November 27, 1978)
- An American politician and the first openly gay man to be elected to public office in California ( A member of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors)
- Henry Valentine Miller (26 December 1891 – 7 June 1980)
- was an American novelist and painter - His most characteristic works of this kind are Tropic of Cancer, Tropic of Capricorn and Black Spring.
- Edward "Eddie" Mishkin
- New York Publisher of Fetish and Domination materials during 50's and 60's
- Monique Von Cleef
- Born in Holland, she is the subject of the book, "House of Pain"
An erotic writer from England published by Nexus Books. Her books are often set in fantasy worlds, often referring to Satanism, sex magic from witchcraft and Gothic culture. Some of her stories are set period works, covering World War II, and covering 18th century England. Her books also contain spanking, slavery, female domination and bondage.
- Charles Moser Ph.D.
- Noted Sexologist from San Francisco, CA - Graduated from Institute for Advanced Study of Human Sexuality - has written many articles about BDSM