A grandparent is the parent of one of a person's parents.
As every person has two biological parents, a mother and a father, biologically (and also often in practice) he or she has four grandparents. The two female grandparents are called grandmothers and the two male grandparents are called grandfathers:
- the mother of a person's mother -> grandmother
- the father of a person's mother -> grandfather
- the mother of a person's father -> grandmother
- the father of a person's father -> grandfather
In practice however, not all of these may still be alive. Besides, a child's parent or grandparent may remarry after being divorced or widowed, which can result in non-biological (step-) grandparents.
Grandparents in spanking
A grandparent, particularly a grandfather, is often the head of an extended family, and as such is in a position to administer spankings. In other cases, a grandparent may serve as a particularly authoritative babysitter, or in other in loco parentis roles.
An example of a grandmother/grandson spanking scene in film is featured in the 1969 American drama film Midnight Cowboy.
- More information on this topic is available at [ Wikipedia:Grandparent ]
|Articles related to Familial Relationships|
Spouse · Husband · Wife · Son · Daughter · Grandson · Granddaughter · In-law