In practically all cultures, girls are raised in some respects differently from boys. There are cultures where girls are treated more strictly than boys. They are (officially or unconsciously) expected to be more respectful, diligent and obedient than boys. But there are also other cultures where girls enjoy greater liberties than boys.
- longer hair than boys, worn open or in a variety of girl's hairstyles such as:
- dresses and skirts
- school uniforms
- being called "young lady" when scolded
Other uses of term
- Young women are often called girls, especially in erotic commercial advertisements.
- In modern usage, 'girl' simply refers to a simple friendly monosyllabic way of referring to females.
- It can be used to refer to female threats
- Much like 'baby' it can be a romantic term of endearment
- It shows up in a lot of songs that clearly do not refer to minors, but rather, vibrant mature adults such as "Promiscuous Girl" or "This One's For the Girls"
- It also shows up in songs like "Young Girl" by Gary Pluckett where the term 'young' is used as a modifying adjective, which implies that if it were not used, 'girl' would not imply young, thus reflecting that in common slang and usage it no longer refers to kids or children as it used to, though older or more sophisticated speakers still use it this way.
What links here • References and Sources • eMail The Wiki Staff • Contact Info